If you’re following Talented Talkers on Instagram, then you might have spotted a picture of my vegan oreo brownies there, today – I made them for the office, this week, and the recipe ended up being so requested both in TT Towers and on Instagram, that I decided to jot down exactly what went into these gooey goodies.
I’m a pretty avid baker, as my archive would probably suggest, but it was a really nice challenge to make a vegan option for the members of the team doing #Veganuary – and they tasted pretty good, too!
Thanks to Chloe, the wonderful lady behind Lashes of Lifestyle blog, for the shot.
VEGAN OREO BROWNIES RECIPE
Vegan brownies that are gooey, fudgy, and just as good as any non-vegan options.
- 1 pack Oreos make sure these are the vegan ones – the first pack I bought still had whey powder in them, so make sure the ones you get don’t, as this is made from milk
- 2 flax eggs made by whisking 2 tbsp of flax with 6 tbsp water, and leaving in the fridge for 15 mins
- 60 g vegan margarine I used Flora Freedom
- 170 g light brown sugar
- 150 g flour
- 70 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 150 ml almond milk (or your favourite milk substitute)
- Set the oven to preheat at gas mark 5 (190 degrees), and if you haven’t mixed up your ‘flax eggs’, do so now, so you can pop them in the fridge whilst you’re mixing everything.
- Melt the margarine – I do this by blasting it in the microwave for about 15 seconds, but it can be done on the hob. Mix in the vanilla extract and almond milk and set aside to cool.
- Mix the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and flour into a bowl, and give everything a good stir so it’s evenly dispersed. Then add the vanilla extract and milk mixture, and your still-cool flax eggs.
- Whisk the ingredients together, until the mixture is relatively smooth. It should still be quite thick, so don’t worry if so. Crumble in about three crushed oreos, for texture.
- Pour half the brownie mix into a greased baking dish, then layer your oreos on top of this, before pouring over the remainder of the brownie mixture. If you have any oreos left over, crumble them on top to give the brownies a little extra crunch (or munch on them whilst you wait for the brownies to bake).
- Pop the brownies in the oven for 25-35 minutes (I did mine for 25 as I prefer them gooey, but if you prefer a cakier brownie, you might want to leave them in for 35).
And there you go – it’s that easy! Just let them cool for about 30 minutes before cutting them, and you’re good to go. Mine made about 16 pretty generous brownies, but that’ll depend on the size of your pan.
Will you be giving these Vegan Oreo Brownies a go?
bloglovin' | instagram | twitter | youtube